The museum was organised in 1979 inside a traditional Berat house. This type of building was mainly built for the landowning classes who lived in the city by renting out their farms and estates. It is a two- storey house, with a veranda on one side. The porch in the ground floor is used more for production than for domestic reasons. It is connected with the upper floor via a stone staircase supported by a stone arch. The building was constructed in the 18th century and it is a typical creation of the local schools of arts and crafts, designed and constructed by local masters. The main focuses of the building are the open spaces in the porch and the veranda. Like many buildings from the Ottoman period the interior has wall storage which served to contain domestic objects, such as open cupboards and niches, shelves, built-in cupboards, fireplaces, and also a well. It has several rooms, a living room, utility room, dining room, bedrooms, and kitchen. The museum space comprises a combination of the actual domestic spaces together with the objects on display. The well was the focus of an area that was used for domestic production and included a grinding stone as well as the wooden olive press. In addition, a massive ceramic vessel which served as a liquid container is located here.
The museum is organised inside one of the most characteristic and interesting houses of the town, a rich assemblage of traditional objects (more than 1000) is one of the principal examples of Berat’s long history and culture.